City coordinates

City of Bialystok, Bialystok District, Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland, 15-062.

Miasto Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie, Polska, 15-062.

Latitude – 53.135278, longitude – 23.145556.

Point on the Google map

Distance to all other locations of our route in kilometers

Barysaw – 434 km

Zembin – 435 km

Smilavichy – 372 km

Lyubcha – 237 km

Navahrudak – 213 km

Izabielin (Padarosk) – 114 km

Krynki – 47 km

Orla – 59 km

Tykocin – 31 km

Local guides and local historians


Museum of the Memory of Siberia (Muzeum Pamięci Sybiru)

The Museum of the Memory of Siberia is located in one of the pre-war military warehouses, in the immediate vicinity of the railway branch of the former Paleski station. In 1940-1941 and in 1944, it was here that Soviet soldiers loaded the residents of Bialystok region into wagons to deport them to Siberia. it wa from here that in 1943 the Germans took Jews from the Bialystok ghetto to the concentration camp in Treblinka.

The original Russian freight car, which is a symbol of those tragic events, stands today inside the museum building on the tracks that run along the old depot. It plays the role of the gate through which visitors enter the exhibition. The main exposition of the museum is located in the building of the former warehouse built of concrete and red bricks.

The museum is the only institution in Poland, and perhaps in the world, entirely dedicated to people who were sent far into the inland of Russia and deported to the Soviet Union from the end of the 18th to the middle of the 20th century. The museum also tells the stories of those Poles who, until 1917, actively participated in the development of vast territories of Siberia.

You can find out more about the permanent exhibition (in Polish) and see pictures here. To go to the YouTube channel of the project, which contains memories, lectures, historical materials, use this link. Also, you can go on a video tour of the museum together with the Belarusian historian Ihar Melnikaw here.

Phone: +48 85 672-36-01.

Address: ul. Węglowa 1, Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie.


Coordinates: 53.1435228, 23.1732519.

Bialystok cultural center / Ludwig Zamenhof Center (Białostocki Ośrodek Kultury / Centrum im. Ludwika Zamenhofa)

The Center named after Ludwik Zamenhof, a native of Bialystok and the creator of Esperanto, the most popular of the constructed international languages, was created on the occasion of the World Congress of Esperantoists in 2009. The Ludwik Zamenhof Center offers visitors the permanent exhibition “Bialystok of the young Zamenhof” and numerous temporary exhibitions, concerts, film screenings and theater productions.

Since May 12, 2010, the Esperanto Library, a branch of the Lukasz Hornicki Podlaskie Library in Bialystok, has been operating in the building of the Ludwik Zamenhof Center. This is the first public library in Poland with collections in the Esperanto language or dedicated to Esperanto. The center has a multimedia archive of oral history of the city and district Mediateka CLZ. The collection includes memories of “witnesses of history” – residents of Bialystok and Podlasie regions, relating to the period from the end of the 19th century to the present day, as well as photographs and documents.

Phone: +48 85 676-73-67.

Address: ul. Warszawska 19, Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie.


Coordinates: 53.1336941, 23.1675702.

Podlaskie Museum in Bialystok / Main building (Muzeum Podlaskie w Białymstoku / Siedziba główna)

The Podlaskie Museum has many branches, and its Main building is located in the town hall building. The permanent exhibition includes more than 120 works of the best Polish and foreign artists who have been creating for the past 250 years. The exhibition is a kind of review of the history of painting, illustrated by the works of such artists as Marcello Bacciarelli, Johann Baptist von Lampi, Josef Grassi, Michal Bogoria Skotnicki, and Piotr Michalowski.

An important group consists of paintings by artists associated with the court of Jan Klemens Branicki. The gallery is decorated with paintings by Polish artists who were educated at the Munich Academy. A real masterpiece in this group is the “Journey in a Carriage” by Alfred Wierusz-Kowalski .The multifaceted painting trends of the first decades of the 20th century are represented by the canvases of the students of the landscape school of Jan Stanislawski, Vilnius artists and Stanislaw Ignacy Witkievicz.

Phone: +48 85 740-77-31.

Address: Ratusz, ul. Rynek Kościuszki, 10, Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie.


Coordinates: 53.1323369, 23.1563188.

Historical Museum / Branch of the Podlaskie Museum in Bialystok (Muzeum Historyczne / Oddział Muzeum Podlaskiego w Białymstoku)

The museum is located in a building of the beginning of the 20th century in the modern style – the former Cytron Palace. There are rich archival and iconographic collections that tell about the past of Bialystok and Podlasie. There is also a numismatic cabinet with a collection of coins, medals and securities.

The museum owns the country’s only collection of memorabilia related to the settlement of Tatars in the Polish-Lithuanian-Belarusian borderland. The permanent exhibition includes a model of Bialystok in Baroque style, representing the urban planning of the city in the 18th century. You can read more about permanent exhibitions in Polish here, and about temporary ones here.

Phone: + 48 85 748-21-19.

Address: ul. Warszawska, 37, Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie.


Coordinates: 53.1320751, 23.170153.

Alfons Karny Museum of Sculpture / Branch of the Podlaskie Museum in Bialystok (Muzeum Rzeźby Alfonsa Karnego / Oddział Muzeum Podlaskiego w Białymstoku)

The Alfons Karny biographical museum is located in the historic wooden villa of General von Driesen in Bialystok. It collects the works of the prominent Polish sculptor, and also hosts exhibitions of contemporary art in the fields of painting, sculpture, graphics, photography, as well as educational events and projects with a special focus on the needs of people with visual and hearing impairments and intellectual disabilities.

The artist was born in 1901 in Bialystok, but worked in Warsaw, so he is considered one of the brightest representatives of the “Warsaw School of Sculpture”. In Karny’s legacy, ealistic images of famous people prevail. The collection includes several dozen portraits. Permanent exhibitions: “Portraits of great Poles”, “Sculptor’s workshop”, “History of creative life”, “Ancient and modern art from the artist’s collection”.

Phone: +48 85 732-73-92.

Address: ul. Świętojańska, 17, Białystok, Powiat białostocki, Wojewodztwo podlaskie.


Coordinates: 53.1247657, 23.164325.

Museum of the History of Medicine and Pharmacy (Muzeum Historii Medycyny i Farmacji)

The museum was created at the Medical University of Bialystok. In the historical interiors of the former Branicki Palace, you can learn the secrets of medicine, the process of formation of medicinal traditions over the centuries, feel the smell and atmosphere of a pharmacy at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. You can watch a short video tour in Polish at the link.

Phone: + 48 85 748 -54-67, + 48 85 748-54-05.

Address: Uniwersytet Medyczny w Białymstoku, ul. Jana Kilińskiego, 1, Białystok.


Coordinates: 53.1305664, 23.1629884.

Jewish cult buildings and places of power

Piaski synagogue (synagoga Piaskower). The synagogue in the Piaski district was built in 1891-93 on the site of the old wooden synagogue of 1820, which was dismantled before 1890. The new synagogue was built in 1893. The Talmud Torah religious school also operated in the building.

During the Second World War, the Germans devastated the synagogue. After the end of the war, the center of the Jewish community was located in the synagogue, and then, from 1948, the Social and Cultural Society of the Jews of Poland. The building was abandoned in 1968. After the reconstruction, it housed the labor protection department and the community center.

Пасля пажару ў 1989 годзе кампанія Wersal Podlaski After a fire in 1989, the Wersal Podlaski company renovated it into offices. Now the former synagogue is the seat of the Bilystok Society of Esperantoists and the Ludwik Zamenhof Center. Read more in Polish here, and in English here.

Beit Shmuel synagogue (synagoga Beit Szmuel). Ul. Branickiego, 3. It was located at 3 Branickiego st. The synagogue was built in 1902 from bricks in the Moorish style and named in honor of the rabbi from Bialystok, the famous Zionist figure Samuel Leibovich Mohilever.

During the Second World War, the Nazis burned down the synagogue, but the building itself survived. After the war, it was rebuilt as a cinema and a sports hall. Later, it hosted the training center of the Bialystok police. Currently, it houses the headquarters of the “Hetman” sports club.

After all the renovations, the building lost its original appearance. On the side of the yard, six original semicircular windows in the apse, where the synagogue’s ark used to be located, were removed. On one of the walls there is a memorial board in Polish and Hebrew, which reads: “Here was the Jewish synagogue named after the great Rabbi Shmuel Mohilever.” More information in Polish at the link, and in English here.

Former old Piaski synagogue (stara synagoga Piaskower). The old Piaski synagogue was located on today’s Pekna street (przy dzisiejszej ulicy Pięknej). The synagogue was built in 1820. It was demolished in 1890, and in 1893 a new stone synagogue was built in its place.

Cytron synagogue (synagoga Cytronów). It was located at ul. Waryńskiego, 24А. It was built in 1936-1939 on the initiative and at the expense of the manufacturer Shmuel Cytron (Szmuel Cytron). The brick building in the modernist style was richly decorated: coffered ceiling made of exotic types of wood, many paintings on biblical themes, paintings of animals and plants. In the prayer hall there was an original candelabrum with 150 candles.

The synagogue was solemnly opened in the presence of the city authorities and the governor of the Bialystok Voivodeship shortly before the beginning of the Second World War. During the Nazi occupation, the synagogue was located on the territory of the ghetto and was partially destroyed. After the war, it was the main synagogue in Bialystok until the 1960s.

In 1979, the wooden ceiling of the former main prayer hall with the remains of the polychrome collapsed. In the 1990s, maps and fragments of liturgical books were found under the floor, which were transferred to the historical museum. Since 1993, the Sleńdziński Art Gallery (Galeria im. Sleńdzińskich). has been open in the building. More information about the former synagogue in Polish can be found at the link, and in English here.

Former synagogue “Ner Tamid Beth Midrash” (“Eternal Flame of Candles”)(synagoga Nomer Tamid). It was located on Suraska street (ul. Suraska). The first synagogue was built in Bialystok in the first quarter of the 17th century. According to historical sources, around 1700, the parish priest of Bialystok leased a plot of land to Jews for the construction of a synagogue. The exact date of construction is unknown. It is believed that the building was built in 1711, 1715 or 1718. The building has not survived to this day. A photo of  the synagogue and its history in Polish can be found at the link, and in English here.

Former Old Synagogue (synagoga stara). It was located on Bożnicka street, later on Suraska street (ul. Suraska, 1). Demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. The synagogue was built in 1764 on the model of the old Tykocin synagogue and was partly founded by the wife of Hetman Branicki. Due to its poor condition, the building was dismantled in 1906-1908. In 1913, the Great Synagogue was built in its place.

Coordinates: 53.130556, 23.157222.

Former Great Synagogue (Wielka synagoga). Ul. Suraska, 1. Built in 1909-1913, according to the project of Samuel (Shlomo) Jacob Rabinovich on the site of the old synagogue. Funds for construction were raised from the sale of kosher meat, as well as through private donations.

In the period between the First and Second World Wars, on the days of Polish national holidays, the city authorities also took part in the services: the mayor and the governor of the voivodeship. The last official rabbi of Bialystok, Dr. Gedali Rosenman, ordered at the end of the service, after the performance of the Jewish hymn Hatikvah (now the official anthem of the state of Israel), to sing the Polish national anthem “Poland is not dead yet” (Jeszcze Polska nie zginela).

It was burned down during the Second World War. On the morning of June 27, 1941, the 309th battalion of the German order police surrounded the town square near the Great Synagogue and forced the residents to leave their homes. Some were immediately shot at the wall of the synagogue. About 2,000 people were locked in the synagogue and set it on fire. Afterwards, the Germans threw grenades at the houses near the synagogue. The fire engulfed the entire block. About 3,000 Jews died that day.

In August 1995, a monument was opened on the site of the destroyed synagogue. It has the form of a broken dome with a commemorative plaque with the inscription: “Our holy, wonderful shrine became a victim of fire on June 27, 1941. German killers burned 2,000 Jews alive there.” At the link, you can see pictures of the synagogue and its history in Polish, and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.130556, 23.157222.

Former Choral Synagogue, also known as the Zabludowski Synagogue (synagoga Chorszul, zwana Zabłudowskich). It was located on Białówny street (ul. Białówny). The Choral Synagogue (“Khorshul” in Yiddish) was built in 1834 on the initiative of Marek Zamenhof, the father of Ludwik, the creator of Esperanto. The Zabludowski family was a major sponsor of this two-story stone building.

The name “Khorshul” refers to the choir, introduced in the luxurious interior of the synagogue in the late 1850s. From the outside, the building was modest, with the characteristic semicircular windows of the prayer halls. In the interwar period, the synagogue ranked second in size and importance among the synagogues of Bialystok. The Choral Synagogue was burned down in 1943 during the liquidation of the ghetto. Information in Polish is here, and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.133467, 23.157519.

Former regimental synagogue (synagoga Pułkowa). Existed on Nadrzeczna street (ul. Nadrzeczna). The synagogue was located on Nadrzeczna street, facing Mikolaewska street (now Sienkiewicza street). The three-story stone building with a classical facade was erected in 1861. The common name “regimental synagogue” refers to the performance of the regimental band at the opening of the synagogue. Another common name was also used – “Sevastopol place” (“Sewastopol Szpot”). The synagogue was flooded by the Biała river, which flowed along Nadrzeczna street, hence the association with the Sevastopol Fortress.

The synagogue was the third most important Jewish landmark in the city. In the interwar period, it was the favorite synagogue of Polish soldiers of Jewish origin. The Germans blew up the building in 1941 along with the Soviet soldiers barricaded inside. Information about the synagogue in Polish can be found at the link, and in English here.

Jewish cemetery (cmentarz żydowski).Wschodnia st. (ul. Wschodnia). The cemetery was founded around 1890, after the old cemetery on Kalinowski street was closed. It is located on the territory of the former village of Bagnowka (now Wschodnia st.), in the northern part of the city, near the Catholic and Orthodox cemeteries. This is the only surviving Jewish cemetery in Bialystok, and at the same time, one of the largest Jewish cemeteries in Poland (about 12.5 hectares). The last burial here took place in 1969.

On the brick wall of the cemetery, about 6,000 matzebot with inscriptions in Hebrew, Polish, Yiddish, German and Russian have been preserved. Many richly decorated matzebot can be found in the part of the cemetery located near the main entrance, and a little further, graves with a more modest decoration.

The central part of the Jewish cemetery hosts the ohel of Bialystok rabbi Haim Hertz Halpern (died in 1919), built in 1922. An obelisk in memory of the victims of the June pogrom of 1906, built before the Second World War, is preserved here. More information in Polish, as well as pictures, can be found here, and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.15, 23.195917.

Former Jewish cemetery (cmentarz żydowski). Żabia st. (ul. Żabia).It is one of the few Jewish cemeteries in Europe founded during the Second World War in the ghetto (other examples are the cemeteries in Augustow, Legionowo and Kielce). The cemetery was founded in August 1941 in the Bialystok ghetto. Until 1943, regular burials of those who died in the ghetto took place here. Most tombstones were very simple: burials covered with turf or a framework of four boards, with a front board imitating a matzevah.

Participants of the uprising in the Bialystok ghetto and about 900 victims of the liquidation of the ghetto were buried there in common graves. The last known burial took place in 1948. After the end of the war, a four-meter obelisk and a mausoleum, as well as gravestones, were installed at the cemetery.

In 1971, despite numerous protests, local authorities decided to close the necropolis. The remains of the dead were exhumed and transferred to a common grave, on which a modest obelisk was erected. Matzebot, the monument and the mausoleum were destroyed, the fence was dismantled. Now there is a garden square on the site of the former cemetery. In 1993, on the 50th anniversary of the uprising in the Bialystok ghetto, the commemorative obelisk was restored. Photos and history of the necropolis in Polish are here, and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.138000, 23.150000.

Former Jewish cemetery (сmentarz żydowski w Białymstoku). Bema st. (ul. Bema). In 1830, the “Cholera” Jewish cemetery was founded on the city’s border, on the current Bema street, in order to provide a sufficient number of burial places for the victims of the cholera epidemic in the 1830s. The dead (about 1,000 people) were buried in common graves. The cemetery operated even after the epidemic and was closed in 1892. Part of the matzebot from this cemetery was moved to the Jewish cemetery on Wschodnia st.

In the 20th century, the cemetery was completely devastated and finally demolished in 1964. Now on the territory of the former Jewish cemetery there is a market and a ZUS (social insurance department) building, built in 2007, as well as a parking lot. Nearby, there is a square with paths in the form of a Star of David and a board with an archival photo. Pictures and history in Polish can be found at the link,  and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.126089, 23.146031.

Former Jewish cemetery (stary cmentarz żydowski). Kalinowskiego st. (ul. Kalinowskiego). The necropolis on Kalinowskiego street was founded in the 18th century, probably in 1761 or 1764. The cemetery was closed in 1890, but in 1941 burials were still conducted there. Initially, it had walkways and was divided into sections. It was the burial place of rabbis and other important members of the Bialystok Jewish community. Among those buried here are Rabbi Kalman (died in 1789), Hasidic rabbi Moizhesh Wolf (died in 1830), wealthy merchant and philanthropist Isaac Zabludowski (died in 1865).

During the Second World War, the cemetery was destroyed. After the war, its territory was filled with earth to lay out the Central Park (Park Centralny). Despite the fact that its territory covers 2 hectares, only two tombstones have survived to this day. The only surviving grave was moved to the Wschodnia street cemetery in September 200. Pictures and history in Polish can be found at the link, and in English here.

Coordinates: 53.130278, 23.152222.

What to read and see more about the Jewish history of Bialystok?

The history of the city’s Jewish community can be found in Polish here, and in English here. The guide to Jewish Bialystok in Polish can be found at the link, and in English here. The study “History, Memory, Tolerance. The Study of Multiculturalism and Local History”, prepared as part of the program ” Route of Jewish Heritage in Bialystok” is available in Polish at the link. The film about Jewish life in Bialystok on the eve of the Second World War (1939) can be seen at the link.

Architectural units and other interesting places that can be seen on the way

Branicki Palace (pałac Branickich). Ul. Kilińskiego, 1. The residence of the Crown Hetman Klemens Branicki in Bialystok was built in the Baroque style in the middle of the 18th century as the “Podlasie Versailles”. In terms of luxury and sophistication of decoration, it was not inferior to the royal palace in Wilanow. The palace was burned down during the Second World War. In 1946-1960, it was rebuilt and returned to its 18th century architecture. Now the rectorate of the Bialystok Medical University is located here.

Coordinates: 53.130558, 23.164983.

Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Bazylika archikatedralna Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny). Plac Jana Pawła II, 1. The predecessor of the current cathedral was a Renaissance church built in 1617-1626. At the end of the 19th century, the number of parishioners grew to 12,000 people, while the old church housed only 1,000 believers. During the time of the Russian Empire, Catholics were not allowed to build a new church. However, permission was obtained to enlarge the old parish church.

In 1900, construction of a Neo-Gothic church next to the old church started according to the project of Josef Pius Dziekonski. On September 17, 1905, the church was consecrated by the Vilnius bishop. It is the main church of the Bialystok Archdiocese and acquired the status of a basilica in 1985 by the decision of Pope John Paul II.

Coordinates: 53.1325, 23.1627.

Town hall (ratusz). Ul. Rynek Kościuszki, 10. The town hall was built in 1761 in the Baroque style under the sponsorship of Jan Klemens Branicki. The city magistrate never sat in the town hall building, it performed commercial functions. In 1868, a clock was placed on the tower of the town hall, which in 1898 it was used as a fire-observation tower.

During the Soviet occupation, the town hall was dismantled. After Stalin’s death, it was decided to rebuild the town hall. Reconstruction works were started in 1954. Today, the main building of the Podlaskie Museum is located here.

Coordinates: 53.1323369, 23.1563188.

Saint Roch Basilica (Bazylika Świętego Rocha). Ul. Świętego Rocha, 1. Built in the period between 1927-1946 in the modernist style according to the project of the famous Polish architect, Professor Oskar Sosnowski. The official name is the Church-Monument of the Restoration of Independence (Kościoł-Pomnik Odzyskania Niepodległości). The church stands on Mount St. Roch on the site of the former Roman Catholic cemetery founded in 1839.

Coordinates: 53.134583, 23.144583.

Catholic Church of the Holy Martyr Bishop Stanislaus (kościół Świętego Stanisława Biskupa Męczennika). Ul. Wiadukt, 2B. The church was built in 1895 as a garrison church of St. Seraphim of Sarov in the royal barracks of the 11th Kharkiv Ulan Regiment. In 1919, the barracks were occupied by Polish troops, and the church was turned into a garrison church. In the post-war period, the destroyed temple was restored.

Coordinates: 53.100028, 23.131928.

Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Holy Martyr Bishop Stanislaus (kościół Imienia Najświętszej Maryi Panny i Świętego Stanisława Biskupa Męczennika). Ul. Szkolna, 2A. Originally, the building in which the temple is located belonged to the railway and was then transferred to the local Orthodox community. In 1901, a small church of Saints Cyril and Methodius was opened in it. In 1919, the building was transferred to the Catholics, and the Orthodox parish was allowed to resume the activity of the Chapel of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary at the local cemetery.

Coordinates: 53.124531, 23.084658.

Catholic Church of the Holy Martyr Wojciech in Bialystok, former Evangelical Church of St. John the Baptist (kościół Świętego Wojciecha Biskupa Męczennika w Białymstoku, dawniej kościół ewangelicko-augsburski Świętego Jana Chrzciciela). Ul. Warszawska, 46A. The former Evangelical Church of St. John the Baptist, the building of which was built in 1909-1912 in the neo-Romanesque style from red bricks, and in 1944, handed over to the Catholic Church.

Coordinates: 53.130278, 23.17375.

Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (kościół Najświętszego Serca Pana Jezusa). Ul. Traugutta, 25. The building was originally part of the barracks complex of the 64th Kazan Infantry Regiment. It was erected after 1888 as a garrison Orthodox temple in the neo-Byzantine style. After 1918, the barracks were transferred to the 42nd Infantry Regiment of the Polish Army. At that time, the church, seriously damaged during the First World War, was turned into a military Roman Catholic church. During the Second World War, the building was again destroyed and then rebuilt.

Coordinates: 53.140833, 23.185556.

Orthodox Church of All Saints (сerkiew Wszystkich Świętych w Białymstoku). Ul. Wysockiego, 1. In 1887, a new cemetery of the parish of St. Nicholas was opened on the outskirts of Bialystok. A wooden chapel was erected on its territory. On May 31, 1892, the cornerstone of the new stone church was laid, which was consecrated on May 19, 1894. On June 16, 1982, the parish of All Saints was established at the cemetery church.

Coordinates: 53.150417, 23.184083.

Monument to Orthodox residents of Bialystok, killed and missing in 1939-1956 (pomnik prawosławnych mieszkańców Białostocczyzny zabitych i zaginionych w latach 1939-1956). Near 13 Fabrychna st. (przy ul. Fabryczny, 13). The monument is dedicated to all Orthodox believers who died in the Bialystok region in 1939-1956 during the struggle in the ranks of the Red Army and the Polish army, during the Soviet deportations, as a result of the terror of the German occupation authorities and of the soldiers of the Home Army and the National Military Union. The monument is located on the territory of the Orthodox parish of the Holy Spirit in Bialystok.

Coordinates: 53.147, 23.121861.


You can see the schedule of trains from Warsaw to Bialystok and back, as well as buy tickets for the days you want here and here. Bus tickets, at this link.

Food (cafés, shops)

You can choose a café or restaurant in Bialystok at the link.

Rest (hostels, hotels, etc.)

You can choose and book a hostel, hotel, or apartment for the necessary days using Link here.

(Infrastructural information was prepared by: Victoria Lapanik, Ksenia Tereshkova)

Other locations of the route


Infrastructure Town’s coordinates Barysaw town, Barysaw district, Minsk region, 222511. Latitude –


Town’s coordinates Zembin agrotown, Barysaw district, Minsk region, Belarus, 222133. Latitude – 54.35915,


Infrastructure Town’s coordinates Smilavichy town settlement, Cherven district, Minsk region, 223216.